Applications for 2023 are now closed. Applications for 2024 will be open between 1 July 2024 and 30 September 2024.
The Dr Erica Sainsbury Awards have been established to recognise and reward leaders in pharmacy education and practice. The Early Career Pharmacy Educator Award recognises an individual who demonstrates innovation and passion in teaching and who places students first and foremost.
What does the award entail?
The award recipient will receive a $8,000 monetary personal gift and a certificate of recognition from the APC.
The presentation of the award is to be made at the APC’s annual Emeritus Professor Lloyd Sansom AO Distinguished Lecture series held in Canberra in November each year. APC will cover all travel and accommodation expenses. Award recipient names will be published on the APC website.
- The award is open to both non-pharmacist and pharmacist educators, tutors and work integrated learning (WIL) practice supervisors who at the time of application, have been engaged with an accredited pharmacy degree program or Intern Training Program for at least one year.
- Applicants must have no more than five years teaching experience in a higher education institution, including tutoring and part-time teaching. The five years can be non-sequential.
- Applicants who are health professionals regulated under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra) must NOT have a condition on their registration.
- Previous winners of the award are not eligible to reapply.
- Previous unsuccessful applicants may re-apply.
- Applications must be submitted by the applicant and not via nomination by another individual.
- Submit a 500 word statement explaining how you meet at least two or more of the following criteria. Applications will be assessed against the chosen criteria and the extent to which there is supporting evidence.
- Demonstrating cultural safety and social accountability in learning environments as well as personally.
- Use of innovative teaching and learning approaches.
- Motivating and encouraging students to engage with learning.
- Commitment to supporting students by providing empathetic guidance and advice.
- Assisting students from all backgrounds to participate and achieve success in their courses.
- Use of best practice assessment methods and adaptation of assessment approaches to cater for diverse student needs and context.
- Influencing the overall academic, social and cultural experience of the pharmacy program.
- Providing professional expertise to enhance the pharmacy profession beyond the academic setting.
- Provide the name and contact details of one colleague who agrees to provide the selection panel with a confidential statement supporting the application.
Application and selection process
- Applications closed 5pm on 29 September 2023.
- A panel appointed by APC Board will review the applications against the criteria and determine the successful applicant.
- Decisions of the Panel are final.
The successful applicant will be notified by the Australian Pharmacy Council via email and telephone call.
Terms and Conditions
There are no terms and conditions to this award. Award recipients will have no obligations to the APC. Award monies will be paid to the recipient’s nominated account immediately following receipt of the award.
For questions and enquiries write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org.