We're committed to improving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Māori health outcomes. And we're committed to having those outcomes informed and influenced by those who are best placed to do so. We're partnering with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Māori peoples to ensure their voice is leading our work.
The Indigenous Health Strategy Group (IHSG) will advise us on all decisions and solutions relating to our strategy.
Our high-level objectives are to:
- provide a culturally safe pharmacist workforce for all Indigenous peoples of Australia and New Zealand
- provide a culturally safe pharmacist workforce for all Australians and New Zealanders
- influence and show leadership in the pharmacy sector in achieving health equity
- achieve greater access for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and Māori to culturally safe services
- achieve increased participation by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Māori people in the health and education workforce with an overarching aim to achieve parity
- collaborate with others to contribute to the evidence base on the benefits of a culturally safe workforce
To action this the IHSG's advice includes:
- embedding cultural competency in pharmacy education
- ensuring Indigenous attributes are valued and respected across all areas
- implementing frequency and reporting tools.
The IHSG members play an important role in supporting the Leaders in Indigenous Pharmacy Profession Education (LIPPE) Network
, as they each sit on the LIPPE Steering Committee.
Please see our Strategic Priorities for further deliverables that we are committed to.
You can also read how we are planning our Reconciliation Action Plan.
Indigenous Health Strategy Group Members